Taking the next step in your life and planning to start a family can be the most exciting experience. Often, people will consider the pathway of adoption. This could be due to an inability to conceive children, or it could just be something that you have always wanted to do. Regardless of the reason, adopting can be an incredible way to build your family and raise a child.
Adopting can also be a difficult decision to make. If you are adopting with your partner, it is not uncommon for such a major decision to bring about unexpected emotional reactions, disagreements, or strain on your relationship.
Some people choose to adopt on their own as well. This is a life-changing decision that can be very rewarding, but can also bring about a different set of challenges. It can sometimes lead to personal and relationship issues when explaining your decision to others, gaining acceptance from your family and ensuring that this is the right decision for you.
Sometimes there are issues and roadblocks in the adoption process itself, which can be another source of stress and frustration.
If you are thinking about adopting a child and are wanting support during this challenging time, a VCPS psychologist can assist in making these important decisions and to work through the adoption process with a greater ease.
Our psychologists are experienced in assisting with adoption both individually or together with your partner, in order to:
- Work together to resolve any misunderstandings or communication breakdowns caused by the idea of adopting
- Find ways to appropriately discuss the idea of adoption with your partner
- Assist in easing any worries, stresses or other negative emotions associated with the adoption process
- Help build a supportive home and family environment to bring a child into
- Educate you and your partner on the way adoption works and the experience of others when going through this process in order to help remove any unknowns